Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Magus, Mystery, and Deja Vu

When it came time to start my paper for Mythology I was overcome with doubt. Self-doubt. It lingered in my mind and became a sudden theme. This theme was no more than merely an act of picking up John Fowles novel The Magus. So I realized there was a connection between my doubt and Nicholas' doubt. While he was overcome with questions that seemed all together inconclusive, I decided to captivate the sometime elusive and questionable nature surrounding myth in my paper.

I realized that connection between Nicholas' experiences and the veil that shrouds mythology. It seems the act of choosing Nicholas to participate in the godgame was an excellent metaphor for the God's choice to cover us in shrouds of mystery and doubt. Nicholas is at the center of a maze, with neither an entrance nor exit.

One line from The Magus was of particular importance, which coincides directly with the essence of mythology. The line goes, 'All that is our past, possesses our present." Which makes me think about one thing our humans mind is capable of. It's called Deja Vu and it has been defined as: a familiarity, with no awareness. It is simply the feeling or sensation of having already been in a particular place or having said a particular phrase or word. It's a total human phenomenon. To me, it seems, Deja Vu is only one way the Gods prove to us that we actually already have done all these things, we are merely remembering again. Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment